600 km for 6 litres

Some time ago my C-41 kit started showing the signs of exhaustion, and I ordered a new one.

While the package was on its way I had a problem to solve: getting rid of the old chemicals.

If you search online for advice on how to recycle photo chemistry, the answers range from “just dump it into the drain” to more reasonable “take it to a special place”. The first type of answers is definitely unacceptable but the second one exposed another problem for me. I don’t have any special place around.

Then I thought hey, there is a lab at work, they definitely have to recycle their chemicals! So I asked at the lab. Turned out their chemistry was organic and mine is not (or the other way around) and I couldn’t use them to get rid of my stuff.

Then I started inquiring about any place that recycles my kind of chemistry and was told there is a factory somewhat 300 km away from me that should do it. Suddenly a seemingly simple task of recycling photo chemicals turned into an Odyssey.

Practically, driving 600 km just to try to get rid of my 6 litres doesn’t make any sense, and honestly, for a moment I just thought of dumping the whole thing. In theory though, if I wait for my next kit to go, I will have a bit more significant amount to deal with and maybe then I’ll try.

Anyway, I’ve put those litres away for now but the whole story made me think about my own environmental impact from photography. I’ll write another time about it.

What about those mannequins anyway?

Olympus 35DC, Fujicolor Superia X-tra 800. Eilat, 2017.
The juxtaposition of people and mannequins is quite a popular trope. After all, there’s a lot of symbolism as well as parallelism when you put a real person next to a plastic human-shape object. We’ve seen it many times in many…

Continue reading – http://bit.ly/2CsUSeT

My Lucky Developments

One of my colleagues, having seen me with a film camera, brought his old Nikon F65 and gave me as a present. In a camera bag, I found an unexposed roll of Lucky film and decided to test the camera with this roll. As it hasn’t been refrigerated for a long time I expected it to be something completely different from what I’m used to seeing in my colour film. And oh boy different it was! As you can see below everything came out with this magenta colour tone, and some shots also have a kind of stripes across the frame. Thanks to modern technologies I can save those pictures a little bit in post processing, but anyway, that was fun.

My other roll in this batch was Fujifilm C200 and it turned out really good despite being an expired film as well. Now I don’t remember if I shot it as ISO 100 or at box speed, but I love the results. Check out some of them.

The experiment with the Lucky film got me thinking about cross-processing slide film in C-41 chemistry. I think I might give it a go once I get my hands on some cheap colour slide. Until then I’ve got my b&w film and chemicals waiting so I’ll be back with more home developed stuff to share here. Cheers!